Title: Graduate Student
Office: B605, Engineering Building Unit 1
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
9500 Gilman Drive, Mail Code 0407
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093-0407
Phone: (858) 534-4826
Fax: Fax: (858) 534-1225
M. Phil., University of St. Andrews, Physics, 2009
B. S., Michigan State University, Electrical Engineering, 2007
Janelle received her undergraduate degree in electrical engineering at Michigan State University, where she worked with Marcos Dantus on shaping femtosecond laser pulses. In fall 2007 she joined the research group of Kishan Dholakia at the University of St Andrews in Scotland, where she researched applications of pulse shaping and dispersion compensation in trapping and photoporation. She joined the Ultrafast Nanoscale Optics group in fall 2008, and is pursuing a PhD, funded by a National Science Foundation fellowship.
- Olesya Bondarenko, Qing Gu, Janelle Shane, Aleksandar Simic, Boris Slutsky, and Yeshaiahu Fainman, "Wafer bonded distributed feedback laser with sidewall modulated Bragg gratings," Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 043105 (2013). pdf
- J. Shane, M. Mazilu, W. M. Lee, and K. Dholakia. "Effect of pulse temporal shape on optical trapping and impulse transfer using ultrashort pulsed lasers." Optics Express (accepted).
- J. Shane, V. Lozovoy, and M. Dantus. "Binary search space mapping: Getting a picture of coherent laser control." Journal of Physical Chemistry A 110, 40 (2006).
- D. A. Harris, J. C. Shane, V. V. Lozovoy, and M. Dantus, "Automated phase characterization and adaptive pulse compression using Multiphoton Intrapulse Interference Phase Scan in air," Optics Express, 15, 1932-1938 (2007).
- V. V. Lozovoy, X. Zhu, T. C. Gunaratne, D. A. Harris, J. C. Shane, and M. Dantus, "Control of molecular fragmentation using binary phase-shaped femtosecond laser pulses," Journal of Physical Chemistry A 7, 2471-2473 (2006).
- L. Schelhas, J. C. Shane, and M. Dantus, "Selective two-photon imaging of a biological sample," Ultrafast Phenomena XV, P. Corkum, D. Jonas, D. Miller, A. M. Weiner Eds. Springer-Verlag, Berlin (2007).
- V. Lozovoy, J. Shane, B. Xu, and M. Dantus. "Selective nonlinear excitation with pseudorandom Galois fields." Physics Review A 74, 4 (2006).
- L. Schelhas, J. Shane, and M. Dantus. "Advantages of ultrashort phase-shaped pulses for selective two-photon activation and biomedical imaging," Journal of Nanomedicine 2, 3, 177-181 (2006).
- V. V. Lozovoy, T. Gunaratne, J. C. Shane, and M. Dantus, "Control of chemical reactions using binary phase shaped femtosecond laser pulses," ChemPhysChem, 7, 2471-2473 (2006).
- V. Lozovoy, J. Shane, B. Xu, and M. Dantus. "Spectral phase optimization of femtosecond laser pulses for narrow-band, low-background nonlinear spectroscopy " Optics Express 13, 10882-10887 (2005).
- O. Bondarenko, J. Shane, Q. Gu, B. Slutsky, Y. Fainman, "Design of compact IIIV/Si distributed feedback lasers," Photonics Conference (IPC), 2013 IEEE.
- Janelle C. Shane, Qing Gu, Felipe Vallini, Brett Wingad, Joseph S. Smalley, Newton C. Frateschi, Yeshaiahu Fainman, "Thermal considerations in electrically-pumped metallo-dielectric nanolasers," SPIE Photonics West 2014, Paper 8980-82
- Olesya Bondarenko, Qing Gu, Janelle Shane, Aleksandar Simic, Maziar Nezhad, Boris Slutsky, and Yeshaiahu Fainman. "Ultracompact IIIV/Si Lasers and Low Loss Integration with Silicon Photonics, " IEEE Summer Topicals, 2013.
- J. Shane, M. Mazilu, W. M. Lee, and K. Dholakia. "Optical trapping using ultrashort 12.9fs pulses." Proceedings of SPIE 7038, 70380Y (2008).
- L. Weisel, B. Martin, L Schelhas, P. Xi, V. Lozovoy, J. Shane, and M. Dantus. Oral Presentation - CLEO - Baltimore, MD, May 2007
- D. A. Harris, J. Shane, V. Lozovoy, and M. Dantus. "Remote Chemical Detection Using SUPER-CARS." Oral Presentation - CLEO - Baltimore, MD, May 2007.
- D. A. Harris, J. Shane, V. Lozovoy, and M. Dantus. "Phase Characterization and Adaptive Pulse Compression Using MIIPS in Air." Oral Presentation - CLEO - Baltimore, MD, May 2007.
- J. Shane, J. Gunn, S. Bonner, R. Martin, L. Schelhas, L. Weisel, and M. Dantus. "Selective two-photon imaging of biological samples." Oral Presentation - Ultrafast Phenomena - Pacific Grove, CA, Jul. 2006
- V. Lozovoy, M. Kangas, T. Gunaratne, J. Shane*, and M. Dantus. "Coherent control of molecular fragmentation using binary phase shaped femtosecond laser pulses." Poster - Ultrafast Phenomena - Pacific Grove, CA, Jul. 2006
- J. Dela Cruz*, J. Gunn, J. Shane, and M. Dantus. "The impact of shaped femtosecond laser pulses on two-photon imaging." Poster, Hot Topics presentation - Winner of best abstract award. Nanomedicine Conference - East Lansing, MI Apr. 2006
- J. Shane*, M. Kangas, J. Dela Cruz, V. Lozovoy, and M. Dantus. "Search space mapping to elucidate control of chemical reactions with shaped laser pulses." Oral Presentation - PacifiChem - Honolulu, HI, Dec. 2005
- M. Kangas*, M. Dantus, J. Shane, and I. Pastirk. "Highly reproducible control of photofragmentation and ionization using binary phase-shaped pulses." Poster - CLEO - Baltimore, MD, May 2005
- J. Shane*, J. Lancok, C. Garapon, and S. Guy. "Spectroscopic characterization of two structurally different Yb3+-doped thin-film materials, fabricated from Gadolinium Gallium Garnet (GGG) using Pulsed Laser Deposition." Oral Presentation - Optical Society of America - Rochester, NY, Oct. 2004
- J. Shane*, S. Guy, and B. Jacquier. "Etude Spectroscopique de Couches Minces Dop-es Yb3+ (Spectroscopic study of Yb3+-doped thin films)." Oral Presentation - Institut d-Optique Research Experience for Undergraduates - Orsay, France - July 2004